Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Good Morning You Little Jackass

I hope your sidewalks stick you like a needle.

I poured skim milk into my coffee because
I forgot I had the half&half. I forgot about your beard of ice.

I I I I I

I will write a poem today

I hope your face and hair become square

I dreamed about all the nights we floated home over the snow
greedy and indifferent

our holes filled with flashing neon

I dreamed I strung all the moons together and burned them
...
I dreamed I stopped dreaming and everything fell off the page
.
.
.

even the smoke shakes
when you light my cigarette

your eyes become
two oozing (ha ha .. maybe, crusty?) assassins




......

1 Comments:

Blogger Clifford Duffy said...

Hello, apart from the fact that i think the whole poem works,
i was really struck
by these last lines

"even the smoke shakes (which you bolded)
when you light my cigarette

Those two lines, or one long one depending on how you look at it,
took my breath away in every sense of the word.

your eyes become
two oozing (haha..maybe,crusty) assassins" and I like the way the last line is self-reflective and unsure of itself and how the line tropes or changes eyes to assassins removing the usual and more obvious image of eyes being tender etc. I mean oozing and crusty eyes, what a remarkable juxtaposition.

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home